Matched content units to only show ADS starting Tuesday, March 1, 2022: Important changes to Matched content
As per Google Adsense latest announcement "Starting 1st March 2022, Matched content units will only show ads, and be renamed to Multiplex ads."
Google originally launched Matched content as a recommendation service to help you promote the content to Adsense Publishers' site visitors. It also came with the option to show ads alongside the links to your content.
Due to decreasing usage of the content promotion service, and positive customer feedback and performance results from an ads-only Matched content ad format, as revealed by Google Adsense, the content promotion service is turned down and converted existing Matched content units to ONLY SHOW ADS. This also applies to Matched content units that have the "Monetize with Ads" option turned off.
What to do next?
You don't need to do anything if you're happy for all of your Matched content units to only show ads starting 1st March 2022. Otherwise you need to remove the Matched content code from your pages before this change happens.
- Alongside the format change, we're making the following changes:
- Rebranding Matched content to "Multiplex ads", to align with the ad format that's available on Google Ad Manager
- Removing the eligibility restrictions that currently apply to Matched content. The new format will be available to all AdSense publishers
- Removing the Sites > Matched content page from the AdSense interface
- Updating the Matched content unit editor to show the new ads-only format
- (Lab participants only) Turning off the ads-only Matched content AdSense Lab and marking it as retired.
What is Matched Content?
As per Adsense help, Matched content is a free recommendation service that offers you a simple way to promote your content to your site visitors. By offering your readers more content that's relevant to them, you can increase your site's page views, the time spent on your site, reader loyalty, ad impressions, and ultimately ad revenue.